If you are planning your trip to Jeju, you must include Udo Island on the East Coast. The name of this small island comes from its shape like a lying cow. This small island includes various scenic sights, local heritages and natural attractions making it a miniature Jeju Island. There’s also a lot of various tourist attraction to do like : biking, fishing, boats tours etc.
How To Get There
If you are travelling around Jeju with a car, you have to park your car just next to Seongsan port. You will then have to go buy your tickets and filled out some paper with your informations before jumping on a 15 minute boat trip direction Udo ! There is a ferry almost every hour. Here the details of price ticket :
- Round Trip: Adults 8 500 Won / Middle & High School Students 8 100 Won / Elementary School Students 3 200 Won / Kids (ages 3 to 7) 2 400 Won / Senior 7 000 Won
- One Way to Udo: Adults 5 000 Won / Middle & High School Students 4 600 Won / Elementary School Students 2 000 Won / Kids (ages 3 to 7) 1 200 Won / Senior 3 500 Won
- One Way from Udo: Adults 3 500 Won / Middle & High School Students 3 500 Won / Elementary School Students 1 200 Won / Kids (ages 3 to 7) 1 200 Won / Senior 3 500 Won
If you want to go there with your car (many restrictions) or bicycle some separate charges will be applied.
What To Do On The Island
There is many different landscape and activities to do around the island. If you do not have much time, the best is to rent bike or electric bicycle to go all around the island and sightsee the lovely landscape of the island using Jeju Olle-Trail 1-1. You can easily rent a bike as when you arrive, you will find many shops just next to the port.
If you do have more time you can include some more activities like boat tours, or submarine tours, hike to the top of Udobong Peak, go fishing with locals.
The landscape you should not miss are :
- Seobin Baeksa, a white sand beach with emerald sea designated Natural Monument. It’s a very famous filming location.
- Udobong Peak, the highest (132.5m) spot on the island, considered as a lighthouse.
- Hagosudong Beach, a beach which offers more exotic and distinctive nature than any other in Jeju Island. It’s the best place to grab some snacks and treats along the seaside.
- Geommeolle Beach, is the opposite of Seobin Baeksa, black sand beach. It’s really small but really charming as it’s totally contrasted from the rest of the island. In here, you can grab some delicious peanut ice cream.
Food You Should Not Miss
Udo Island is also a great place to enjoy delicious food and mainly seafood. Take your time to stop at some restaurant. The best address is Howyanggwa Guksugun, it’s next to Seobin Baeksa Beach. There you will find noodles topped with raw seafood, spicy octopus and seafood stew (dolmuneo haemultang)… all delicious.
The second dish you should not miss is… ICE CREAM ! Just near to Geommeolle island you can find Jimmy’s Ice cream stand which propose peanut or hallabong (mandarin) ice cream. Those two main ingredients are cultivated on the island.
My last advice is that when you return to mainland after your day trip to Udo, you try to catch the sunset at Seongsan Ilchulbong. This other really famous attraction on Jeju island is just less than 10 minutes drive from the port. Please do not hesitate to share your impressions on Udo Island and if you recommend some nice foods to try there.