I usually choose guesthouses over hotels when travelling in Korea, simply because they are more affordable. However, when travelling at peak times, booking a hotel room may be necessary. Here is my honest review of The Suites Hotel in Yangyang city, Gangwon-do.
Yangyang City and Naksan Beach
Yangyang is a small coastal city in the northeast region of Gangwon-do, South Korea. Thanks to Korea’s well-developed transport services, getting to Yangyang is simple wherever you are. For instance, there is direct bus from Seoul Express Bus Terminal to Yangyang that takes 2 hours. What’s more, tickets are less than 20,000 won! In my case, I took an intercity bus from Gangeung, which took about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Yangyang has many beaches to explore and for a true vacation atmosphere, I recommend choosing a beach hotel. I chose Naksan beach because it was close by to the bus terminal, for easy travel. Naksan is a large sand beach surrounded by restaurants, cafes and supermarkets, as well as hotels and pensions.
There are many hotels by the beach, so why did I choose The Suites Hotel? Read on to find out.
The Suites Hotel
The Suites Hotel is located right on Naksan beach, a stone’s throw away from various attractions. All rooms have a gorgeous sea view, so you can switch off your alarm and let the sounds of the ocean wake you instead. As well as easy access to the beach, the area itself is quiet, so you can sleep soundly.
- Address: 84 Haemaji-gil, Yangyang-eup, Yangyang-gun, Gangwon-do
- Directions: Whether you are coming by car or public transport, simply follow signs/routes to Naksan beach and the Suites Hotel is located on the waterfront.
- Restaurant (including outdoor terrace)
- Self-service Laundry
- PC Room
- Kid’s Library
- Free Wi-Fi
- Air Conditioning & Heating
- Complimentary tea, bottled water and toiletries
Reservations and Price
- You can reserve a room via The Suites Hotel website, but I personally booked via travel accommodation site Agoda. Booking was quite an easy process but make sure you read the descriptions and instructions carefully. It wasn’t my intention but I ended up having an Ondol-style room! Ondol rooms have no bed but a heated floor with bedding, it is part of the traditional Korean lifestyle.
- The initial prices were quite expensive but the hotel regularly offers discounts. Therefore, I highly recommend you choose to travel during special offer periods. A standard double room starts at ~110, 000 won (~ 100 USD) and can reach ~ 450, 000 won (~400 USD) for a family suite. However, room prices vary depending on the time of reservation and desired period of stay.
As I previously mentioned, I had reserved an Ondol-style room by mistake. Therefore, my first impressions of the room were… surprising, to say the least! However, the room was clean, spacious and full of light from the large window and balcony. Moreover, sleeping on the ondol floor was far more comfortable than I expected! I could really stretch out easily and not feel cramped, something I missed while living in Seoul. However, if you dislike the idea of an Ondol-style room, you can choose one with a bed.
What I loved most about the room was the gorgeous sea view I woke up to each morning. Because of the beautiful scenery and fresh sea air, I awoke feeling refreshed and energetic. On a clear night, you can see the stars above the ocean from your room.
Furthermore, the room had a balcony where I could sit outside and enjoy the view and sounds of the beach during day and night. You can also use the balcony to dry your clothes after swimming. Finally, I loved how clean and neat my room was each time I returned. It is clear that the staff are professional and skilled at The Suites Hotel.
Overall, my stay at The Suites Hotel was very satisfying. I recommend this place to anyone looking to enjoy a relaxing beach vacation in Gangwon-do, or perhaps wanting to celebrate with family or friends. Next time I visit Naksan beach, I will stay here!