Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak is one of the UNESCO World Heritage sites in Korea that is quite famous on Jeju Island’s eastern edge for its geographical features. The tuff cone crater was formed about 5000 years ago when the volcano erupted under the ocean and currently it is bowled-shaped encircled by a ring of jagged and sharp rocks. The base and the surroundings of the peak is of rocky outcrops that presents a dramatic landscape to the peak.
Seongsan Ilchulbong -The ‘Sunrise Peak’
Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak is also known as ‘Sunrise Peak’ for its magnificent view during the sunrise. The name Seongsan Ilchulbong represents two main things; Seongsan, a castle-shaped hill and Ilchulbong, encompassing the sumptuous sunrise view. The peak is an amazing spot for nature lovers to witness the dawn break the transition from night to the day.
If you love mountain climbing and hiking trails then this is the perfect place for you to visit and behold the beauty of nature. The visitors can go there all around the year and it opens an before the sunrise.
Seongsan Ilchulbong’s Sunrise Festival
In Jeju, the New Year’s Day sunrise holds a particular significance as they believe watching the first ray of the sun brings good luck for the coming year. People gather at the peak to watch the first glimpse of the sun together. Every year, a sunrise festival is held to welcome the new year. The festival lasts from News Year’s Eve through the night where fishermen gathered in the ocean whistle and light up their boats in unison.
If you ever happened to visit Korea around a new year then this the sight you wouldn’t want to miss. The first ray of the sun along with chirping birds, the ocean lightning up with boat lights and the lively whistles is just amazing
Some tips to make your hiking trip memorable
Seongsan Ilchulbong is the heaven for hikers and trekkers. It bearly takes half an hour to walk up the top of the Sunrise Peak if you don’t stop or rest in between, otherwise, it can take an hour or even more. The best part is, it is really easy to get to the top because of the well-maintained and marked path with steps along the trail. If you are worried about muddy and rocky paths then forget about it and start planning. Though it would be better if you have proper know-how of the place so here are few tips for you guys to make your trip awesome.
- Keep water bottles and snacks with you as you never know when it’s going to get hot and you might want to rest in between.
- I’ll advise you to check the weather forecast a day before you visit because as you start climbing the peak it might get chill or windy, so having the jacket can be lifesaving.
- Though the pathways are well-maintained there can be slightly rocky so always wear the proper sports shoes if you want a comfortable hike.
- While hiking, don’t forget to look back at the scenery. At every point, the view differs so keep binoculars with you to watch the island view from the top.
- By the way, if you are new in Korea, and want to have your Korean name, check out this article on “Find Your Korean Name Now“.
How to get there?
So have you planned for your visit? Day and time? Now, what about the main thing: ‘How will you get there?’ There are three ways to get to Seongsan Ilchulbong from Jeju city, either by bus, taxi or car. The choice is totally up to you. But if you are looking to save some cash then I would prefer the bus or your own conveyance. It is five to seven times cheaper than the taxi.
Read More: HAVE FUN in JEJU ISLAND!