I have a friend who just successfully applied for the Hyundai Motor Chung Mong-koo Global Scholarship (현대차 정몽구 글로벌 장학) from the Hyundai Motor Chung Mong-koo Scholarship Foundation (현대차 정몽구 재단) in September. This is a very “genuine” scholarship that not many students know about. Therefore, I am writing this post with the purpose of sharing some information and the scholarship application process.
For more information, check this website. (only in Korean)
Chung Mong-koo Global Scholarship Registration Conditions:
✅ Only applicable to students enrolled in Master / Doctoral programs of schools affiliated with the Organization:
- Seoul National University
- Korea University
- Yonsei University
- Hanyang University
- KAIST (Regular Graduate Students)
- KAIST College of Business (Former Government Officials)
- Korea Development Institute (International Graduate School)
✅ Students MUST be from 8 ASEAN countries.
✅ Students must enroll in one of the following major fields:
Humanities and Social Sciences:
- Business or Economics related majors (includes marketing, commerce, trade, etc)
- Korean Language or Korean Studies (includes Korean literature, Korean history, Korean development, etc)
Science and Technology:
- Information Technology related majors (IoT, Telecommunications, etc)
- Biohealth (genetic engineering, contagious diseases, etc)
- Sustainable Energy related fields (electrical engineering, nuclear energy, etc)
Benefits (Policy May Change)
- Masters: 4 Semesters
- Combined Master-PhD: Up to 10 semesters
- PhD: 8 Semesters
✅ Scholarship includes:
- 100% tuition fee (including admission fee)
- Living Expenses :1,000,000 KRW per month (total 6,000,000 KRW per semester)
- Moving Expenses: 2,500,000 KRW (one time only for the first semester)
- Graduation Bonus: 1,000,000 KRW (one time only)
– In addition, you will also receive scholarships when participating in international academic competitions and participate in programs such as cultural experiences, Korean language programs, or summer camps.
Conditions for Maintaining the Scholarship
- Maintain GPA above 3.5/4.5(3.3/4.3)
- Take an agreed-upon number of credits each semester
- Maintain an up-to-date TOPIK certificate
- Participate fully in the activities of the Organization
How to Register
After submitting the admission application to the university, the school will summarize and recommend the qualified candidates to apply for this scholarship. The scholarship application will be emailed after the application is selected.
Candidates who pass the application round will participate in an interview for about 10 minutes via zoom with representatives of the Organization.
Then, the results will be sent to the school. The school will later notify the individual of the admission result and the status of the scholarship application.
Tips to Get the Chung Mong-koo Global Scholarship
Write a really good introduction and study plan! Specify activities during each semester you would like to participate in. You really want to show that you have researched your program and know exactly what you are signing up for. So, include how to do everything you want to do, and plan the future in detail.
In the application section, submit all the working certificates and any other qualifications that show your degree of professionalism.
Interviews can be in English or Korean. Each individual has about 10 minutes (2 minutes to introduce themselves + 8 minutes left by the organization’s representative to ask questions. As a result, you really want to work on refining both your Korean and English interview skills.
The Interview Process
First self-introduction is about 2 minutes. This must be prepared carefully because the following questions are mostly related to this part.
Some of the sample questions:
- What is your biggest change after living in Korea?
- What did you do to encourage a person to be more confident?
- Why should we choose you for the scholarship?
- What is your future plan?
- Who do you admire the most?
- If I gave you a chance, what would you want to tell me?
Applying for a scholarship and going for an interview is just as scary as going to a job interview. But, keep in mind that you have nothing to lose. In fact, you will either be the same as you are now or maybe you will get a great opportunity for your future self.
There are a lot of scholarships offered by Korean universities to finance your study and monthly allowances. This will be a tremendous help for living in Korea and keeping a good academic record. Even though the selection pool is very strict, it is worth a try.
Looking for more scholarships in Korea? Click Here to read about the Global Korean Scholarship!