Recently I posted the article about relaunching the Donghae to Vladivostok Ferry. However, at this time I am going to share my experience of taking the ferry from Yeosu to Jeju Island.
Best Way to Get to Jeju During the Holidays
I booked tickets for a round trip from Yeosu to Jeju during Chuseok. Someone may guess that I am a big fan of ferries, but it is not really true. Simply comparing the prices of flight tickets, taking a ferry is the cheapest form of transportation. Also, if you usually postpose booking tickets (as I do) and prices are getting higher, then the ferry would be the best solution for you.
This is especially relevant now, as the long weekends approach for National Foundation Day on October 3 and Hangeul Day on October 9. Korea is such a small country with quite a large population. So, needless to say, things get very hectic and expensive if you try to travel during the holidays.
How to book tickets from Yeosu to Jeju
The organization of regular ferry traffic is handled by the Hanil Express company. The ferry departs from the port of Yeosu every day at 1:20 AM. However, there are no ferries on Sundays. Departure from the port of Jeju is every day at 16:50, but on Sunday departure is at 16:00. The day off going from Jeju to Yeosu is every Saturday. The travel time is approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes.
There are two ways to book tickets: online on the website, or in person at the seaport. Please note that the site is only in Korean, so if you don’t know the language, then use the automatic translator in the browser. Also, you will need a Korean bank card to pay for the ticket.
How to book a Ticket Online
- Open the website https://www.hanilexpress.co.kr /.
- On the main page, select 선박 예매 (ship reservation). Then, in the new tab, click 비회원 (non-members) so that you don’t have to register, and you can book a ticket faster.
- After that, press the yellow button 비회원 예매하기 (non-member reservations). In the new tab, you will need to confirm your consent to the processing of personal data (click on the check mark and 확인).
- On the next tab, everything is intuitive. Choose the city of departure, the date of departure and return, and also if one-way or round trip tickets are needed. Additionally, it is suggested to choose the class of your place (좌석등급). The cheapest seats are third class and the price starts from 42,000 Won. But this is not the final cost of the ticket, at the time of payment the full amount will be indicated, which is slightly more due to the fuel surcharge.
- After filling in all the information, press 다음단게 to perform the next step. Here you will need to specify personal information: name (you can write in English), gender, date of birth, contact phone number, and note that you are a foreigner. Emergency contact can be left blank.
- On the last tab, you need to verify all personal data and specify your bank card for payment (number, expiration date, the first two digits of the password) and date of birth. After the payment is completed, you will receive a confirmation SMS.
Payment is completed!
If you live near the port, you can go there to buy a ticket at the ticket office. The process is similar to at railway terminals, but be sure to bring your passport or ID card.
How to Prepare for Departure
The ferry departure point is within walking distance from the Yeosu EXPO station. In Jeju, you need to go in the direction of pier 4 and focus on the inscription Gold Stella.
Even though you need to get a ticket at the terminal at least 10 minutes before departure, and get on board at least 5 minutes before departure, I recommend arriving at the terminal an hour before departure. Firstly, it is not known what the situation on the roads will be. Secondly, you will need to pick up your ticket at the ticket office even if you booked online. There may be a queue. There is also a queue when checking tickets before boarding.
You will need to present your passport or ID card at the checkout. Without at least one of these documents, you will not be issued a boarding ticket.
There will be a queue at Jeju before boarding, but you will need to go to another line, because a separate migration officer checks the documents of foreigners. You will have to show an identity document. Usually, there are very few people, because most of the passengers are.
Additionally, you can buy your own food so that you don’t have to do it on board the ferry. And, if you choose a third-class seat, then be sure to take a pillow or something on which you can sleep. Below I will explain why.
Yeosu to Jeju Island
English Address: 320-66, Expo-daero, Yeosu-si, Jeollanam-do.
Korean Address: 전남 여수시 엑스포대로 320-66.
Jeju Island to Yeosu
English Address: 111 Imhang-ro, Jeju-si, Jeju-do.
Korean Address: 제주특별자치도 제주시 임항로 111.
Information About the Ferry from Yeosu to Jeju
Similarly, to the ferry to Vladivostok, the ferry to Jeju is very large. There are three floors for passengers, a space for transporting cars, and even a separate room for transporting pets. The total capacity is 948 passengers and 343 vehicles.
If you have chosen a third-class seat, then you will sleep on the floor. I didn’t know about it, because I expected there would be bunk beds, just like on the ferry to Russia. But there was nothing, and I didn’t take a pillow with me. As a result, I had no choice but to sleep on my backpack. Some people prepared and brought pillows and mattresses.
In fact, there are a lot of things to do on the ferry during the trip. There is karaoke (1,000 Won for two songs), game machines (500 Won for one game), a photo booth (4,000 Won for two sets of four photos) and photo zone (free), massage chairs (3,000 Won for 15 minutes), an ATM, and even a blood pressure monitor if you feel unwell.
There is a coffee shop and, of course, a restaurant. But the prices are quite high, so it’s better to buy a meal in advance. You can bring your own food on the ferry.
Or you can buy goods in the convenience store at the usual prices, as everywhere. There you can also use a microwave or make ramen using boiling water. It’s strange, but there is everything except pills for seasickness. There was even an announcement about this at the cashbox, probably they are asked too often about their availability. Therefore, if you feel sick on board, it is better to buy pills in advance.
And, of course, you can always go out on deck to enjoy the beautiful sea views and sunset.
The ferry is a convenient and inexpensive type of transportation when going from Yeosu to Jeju Island. If you did not have time to buy plane tickets, and prices have risen too much, or you are tired of the usual types of transportation, then why not go to your destination by ferry? By the way, Hanil Express also organizes transportation from Wando and Chuja to Jeju, as well as between Wando and Chuja.